Capitol Hill: 15th Ave E (300-499)
321 15th Ave E - Key Bank
Built in 1960 by National Bank of Commerce, this building appears expanded in the 1972 photo, and still largely unchanged in 2009 (now a Key Bank). This location was also known as Rainier National Bank in the 1970s and 1980s.
15th & Harrison - Fire Station - Engine Company Seven
Built in 1920, this building was used as a fire station until 1970. In 1971, Fire Station No. 7 became known as Earthstation 7, housing Environmental Works and Country Doctor Clinic. At some point, the "ENGINE COMPANY SEVEN" sign and two adjacent shields were removed from the front of the building (though other shields remain on the south wall), and the large vehicle doors were replaced with replicas. The station was then "redeveloped" in 1987. In the 2008 and 2009 photos, this building is shown to be occupied by Video on 15th. Seattle's Department of Neighborhoods website has more details.
401-405 15th Ave E - Piggly Wiggly Market - Tilden, 22 Doors
Built in 1927. The 1937 photo shows this building occupied by Piggly Wiggly, a grocery store chain that was eventually bought by Safeway. The Capitol Hill Times has an article on the history of Piggly Wiggly. The 2009 photo shows this building occupied by the Tilden shop (closed in 2010) and the 22 Doors restaurant. The canopy appears shortened, no longer extending past the corner of the building. See also Seattle's Department of Neighborhoods website. The corner shop was Capitol Hill TV in 1979.
407 15th Ave E - Jim's Barber Shop, Rainbow Natural Remedies
Built in 1922. The 1937 photo shows the dentist office of Dr R. W. Anderson, advertising x-rays — and the Aronstein Delicatessen, featuring homemade ice cream, candy, soda, cigars, and Coca-Cola. In 2009, the occupants were Jim's Barber Shop and Rainbow Natural Remedies (since 1996).
411-415 15th Ave E - Victrola, Superb Cleaners
The 1955 photo shows this as a new building — featuring the Hill Top Cafe, a Philco radio & TV shop, and Superb Cleaners. In the 2009 photo, the Victrola coffee shop (since 2001) displays a sign reminiscent of the old art deco one that once read "PHILCO". Superb Cleaners remains, with their original 1955 neon sign still advertising a "COMPLETE PLANT".
416 15th Ave E - Grocery Store - "Price & Stephens" Moore's Food Store / Thriftway - QFC
Built 1944-1948. The 1948 photo shows this building when it was new, as the "Price & Stephens" Moore's Food Store — advertising Van de Kamp's. In the 1956 photos, the Price & Stephens grocery store has changed from Moore's to Thriftway, and the building to the south has been demolished to make room for a parking lot. In 1964, this supermarket became a QFC (note the flags), and was extended to the north. Looking somewhat stark in 2009 without any window advertisements, the latest photos still show a QFC, complete with the original 1944 wide square grid-patterned facade.
423-425 15th Ave E - Horizon Books
The last remaining intact house on the 400 block of 15th (built 1903) was being used by Horizon Books (1971-2009) when it closed. The property also has a small streetfront building (built 1922) that was still active as Casita International gift shop in 2009.
426-432 15th Ave E - Drugstore - Hair Salon - ShopRite
This building (built 1904) was "modernized" sometime before the 1966 photo, when its bay windows were removed. The corner shop is listed "Capitol Hill Market" in a 1929 issue of the Seattle Times, and as Oxford Meat Market in 1934. The 1936, 1937, and 1950 photos show it occupied by Jamieson Drugs. "Childs" Hardware, featuring Pittsburgh Paints, and the Professional Permanents hair salon are also visible in 1950. In the 1956 photo, the drugstore has become Capitol Hill Drugs and the hardware store is now "Ben Bean" Hardware. In the 1966 photo, the drugstore has taken over most of the storefront, but the hair salon remains. The 2008 and 2009 photos show ShopRite in the old drugstore corner location, along with the Take 2 clothing store, and a hair salon (Salon Ciba) still remaining at the right. The corner location was previously occupied by Red and Black Books (1983-1999), and then briefly by the Pages bookstore & cafe. The Frederick Anhalt's Twin Gables is visible in the background the 1936 and 2008 photographs.
429 15th Ave E - Mrs. B's Electric Bakery - Coastal Kitchen
A beauty salon and Mrs. B's Electric Bakery (Mrs. J. S. Bertch) are visible in the 1937 photo of this building (built in 1924). The facade and windows are shown in the 2009 photo to have been extensively updated, with the occupant being Coastal Kitchen restaurant (since 1993). Beforehand, this was the site of Marcel's Pastry Shop (1960's - 1970's), Beau Jardin restaurant (1970s), Bentley & Ives' restaurant (1979-1980), Diamond Lil's restaurant (1980-1981), the Ritz Cafe (1982-1993).